Thursday, January 7, 2010

Ballroom's Light

Date : 7th Jan 2010
Location : Shangri-La Hotel, Island Ballroom
Lens : EFS18-55MM f3.5-5.6 IS

Settings : f5, 1/30, ISO 3200, WB @ Auto, 24MM

Settings : f5.6, 1/60, ISO 3200, WB @ Auto, 48MM



I made a big mistake at Mr Mole's wedding dinner. I should have adjusted the White Balance and not had used the auto mode. As a result of the blunder, the pictures that I took inside the ballroom came out blue-ish. I had chosen not to use the flash. Without a flash, the shutter speed was slow so I 'cheated' by using a higher ISO. But by setting a high ISO, I will risk getting noise in the pictures.

The options of White Balance that is found in my DSLR - Auto. Daylight (5200K), Shade (7000K), Cloudy (6000K), Tungsten Light (3200K), White Fluorescent Light (4000K), Flash and Custom.

Artifical lighting has low colour temperatures and outdoor natural light sources has higher colour temperatures. We can warm up the picture with yellows and oranges and cool it with lower colour temperatures. Most of the time, setting the White Balance to Auto should be sufficient. In this case, I should have tried out WB @ Tungsten Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment