Saturday, April 16, 2011

Earthquake and Tsunami

I adore beach resorts. There was a period of time when my friends and I would choose beach resorts for our vacations. But now, no one seems to be interested anymore. One of my friends even rebutted, what if there is another tsunami.

My reply: CHOY!! (Quickly grab a piece of wood).

I studied Geography in school but I was never taught what a Tsunami is. Anyway after so many years, I can barely remember what causes an earthquake. Hmmm.. Something about the plates moving and colliding with each other right?

26 Dec 2004 was the first time I came across the term "Tsunami". It occurred in the Indian Ocean. The countries affected were Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Maldives and eastern coast of Africa. Then some weeks ago, I chanced upon a documentary show about Tsunami on Channel 401. They showed live footage of the 2004 Tsunami. It was devastating to watch.

So, what causes a Tsunami? I asked google and this is his answer -
A tsunami is a large ocean wave that is caused by sudden motion on the ocean floor. Earthquake, volcanic eruptions, underwater explosions, landslide and other mass movements or disturbances above or below the water have the potential to generate a tsunami. Tsunamis travel across the open ocean at great speeds and build into large deadly waves in the shallow water of a shoreline.

Let's pray for a no-natural-disaster world.
 
Missy D in Baros Resort, Maldives during October 2009

I miss beach resorts. I so so so want to go to Krabi!

No comments:

Post a Comment