Sunday, March 20, 2011

20110320 Brunch at Epicurious, Rail Mall

Shout out > Sunday is made for brunch!

This blog is still very much alive. I had been terribly busy for the past 6 months and had neglected this space. To begin with something yummy and happy – Sunday brunch at Epicurious! They have two outlets; we went to the one at Rail Mall. The other outlet is at Robertson Quay. (Thanks peeps, for choosing the Rail Mall outlet which is near to my home. Appreciate it!)


We were under the impression that they do not take reservations for weekend lunches and brunches. But apparently they do! Emily was the first to reach and the waiter asked her, “any reservations?” *Mega roll eye*

The waiter later clarified that they only take reservations for the Rail Mall outlet. Anyway, we were there for about 1.5 hours and the cafe was barely half occupied. The crowd was made up of families and friends meeting up.

It is not difficult to find this cafe. It overlooks the railway bridge and is between Bukit Timah Hill Nature Reserve and Dairy Farm Nature Park. But beware! Parking is horrible! The car park was jammed with waiting cars and I cannot remember how many rounds I had to make. (I was silently wishing that I won’t get a parallel parking lot. I know! Begger should not be choosy!) It took some luck and 20 minutes for me to get a parking lot. Derrick was luckier; he managed to get a lot pretty fast.




My first impression of Epicurious, rail mall – I was confused by the decor! But overall, the ambience is cozy. The waiters were attentive and friendly. They also had al fresco dining but it was not suitable for that time of the day.

Derrick and Emily had the Eggs Benedict. Belinda had the Baked Eggs with Toast Soldiers and I chose the Smoked Salmon Sandwich. (I was craving for salmon that day!) I only ate half of my sandwich. The bread was hard but those chunks of cheese and the smoked salmon made up for it. Belinda’s baked eggs were very watery. We were expecting something cheesy and creamy. In the end, she had to ask for a spoon. The Eggs Benedict was considered disappointing if we were to compare it with the other brunch places we had been.


We also ordered the pancakes and choco-nana toast to share. I enjoyed the sweets more than my mains. The pancakes were soft and fluffy! And the choco-nana sandwich was uh-ah warm and chocolate-ly. Though I wished they had thrown in more strawberries and bananas!  We did not stay for coffee but popped over to Coffee Bean instead.



I wouldn’t mind going back to Epicurious, Rail Mall for the sweets. This place is also nice for a good catch up with friends over desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment